Shared Vison for Reading
At Street lane Primary School, it is our intent to provide our children with a high-quality education in English which enables them to successfully read and comprehend a wide range of texts. We want our pupils to develop a love of reading and to be able to understand more about the world in which they live through the knowledge they gain from texts.
Summer Reading Challenge
Derbyshire County Council have partnered with The Reading Agency to bring you an exciting reading challenge this summer! The challenge is being delivered in partnership with local libraries and it is FREE to take part. Please click here for information on how you can join.
Useful Reading Websites
- ActiveLearn Bug Club – Website for reading books online. All children have their own login which can be found in reading diaries.
- Phonics Play – Online phonics games.
- Oxford Owl – Free library of ebooks and games to help improve reading.
- Love Reading 4 Kids – Book recommendations, reviews, competitions and more!
- BBC Bitesize Phonics – Short animations and games.
- Book Trust – Games, activities and recommendations for children of all ages.
- World Book Day – Resources and activities not just for World Book Day!
- Books For Keeps – Children’s book magazine online.
In order to help develop a love of reading, we would recommend using the ‘BookTrust Bookfinder’ search tool to find a range of quality texts that are age appropriate.
To view a variety of booklists with recommendations for a range of topics, we suggest visiting the ‘booksfortopics’ site by clicking here.
World Book Day 2021
Although we couldn’t all be together for World Book Day this year, we have loved seeing what you all got up to! It was great to see children learning in school and remotely getting in to character to celebrate World Book Day.